Are you depressed? Do you believe you’re displaying signs of mental illness? While the only way to know for sure is to see a mental health professional, the following list contains nine common signs of mental illness and tips for when and how to get help.
9 Signs of Mental Illness
- Significant weight loss or gain
- Feeling sad or withdrawn for more than two weeks
- Self-harming, planning to, or attempting to take one’s own life
- Risk-taking behaviors that cause harm to self or others
- Sudden overwhelming fear, sometimes accompanied by a racing heart, physical pain, or difficulty breathing
- Excessive use of alcohol or drugs
- Drastic changes in mood, behavior, personality, or sleeping habits
- Extreme difficulty concentrating or sitting still
- Intense worries or fears that interfere with daily activity
When to Get Help
If you have never been diagnosed with a mental illness, the only way to know if you have one is to see a mental healthcare professional. If your symptoms are severe, you should dial 911 or visit the closest emergency room. Whatever you do, don’t suffer in silence. Don’t be ashamed to reach out for help.
ResilienceEveryday.com is a mompreneur mental health and lifestyle blog. We regularly post about mental health awareness, parenting with a mental illness, special needs parenting, and the mompreneur lifestyle. CLICK HERE to join the mailing list today and never miss a post or the latest news on book launches, product releases, events, and more.